Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Musings of a Boomer


60 
I often find myself bee bopping around the house listening to old nostalgic tunes that conjure up a "better time". Melodies that, even as I write this, remind me of sun drenched beaches, raging bonfires, and starry nights under the stars. Songs that represent the glorious days of innocence, freedom; the anticipation young love. Ahhhhh!!!.......looking back to the good old days. 
But if I'm honest, the good the old days weren't quite as flawless as I remember.... 
Does it matter? Nope! Not even a little. 

What does matter is attitude. Will I look back at those days with a sense of remorse, missing energetic, wrinkle free version of myself.? Or, Will I embrace the older, wiser me, senior version of me. The version that has learned how to say I can.
I can listen to others with an open mind.
I can smile in the midst of my pain.
I can forgive myself and others.
I can seek other perspectives.
I can love without condition.
I can find beauty in my children, my grandchildren, and in everything around me.
I can accept that I'm no longer the person I was.

I can accept that I'm still a work in progress.

and through it all......
I can still have fun!!! 


2 comments:

  1. Yes You Can!!!!! I have similar thoughts running through my head - looking back on the good 'ol days, that honestly weren't always so good - and looking at myself now. It's like two different lives, right? You are definitely wiser and just as beautiful. Time to celebrate that with "I can!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. Too often the past seems better than the present in our minds. Embracing the older, wiser me is something I'm learning to do...often without success, though. Thank you for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete