Monday, March 5, 2018

Her guilty heart


We have nothing to say to each other.  The dreaded words echo in her brain as she steps into his room. Her valiant attempt to assess the situation logically has failed miserably. The guilt residing in her heart will not allow it.

She still loves him.

Approaching his bed, the reality of the situation hit her like a truck. The sickening smell of antiseptic  and fear combine, making want to vomit. The sight of his lifeless body etches itself in her brain. She chokes back a sob.

She tries hard forget the last time she saw him and wonders what he'd do if he saw her right now. Would he smile? Would he cry? Would he remember the words she was desperately trying to forget?

"We have nothing to say to each other." she'd told him the day she walked out of his life.

Now, tears flowing freely, she prays for him to open his eyes. He needed to know the truth.

"I didn't mean it", she whispers, gently stroking his hand...

"I love you", she cries softly.

In that moment she believes she sees his eyelids flutter.






1 comment:

  1. This snippet makes me feel like I’m peeking into a moment I have no right to. You hit every gut with your words my friend. I want to reach out and hug her.

    ReplyDelete