Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Vehophobia, it's no joke!!




Summer, 1993

Thump, Thump, Thump, "Ma'am we're here!" announces the delivery man. "Can you move your car? We're going to need to pull into your driveway!"

Whoosh! That's the sound of the perspiration pouring from my brow.

"Uh, excuse me a second, I mumble, attempting a smile,  "Let me get my husband......."JOHNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He's in the shower upstairs. I realize he can't hear me.

My heart is tap dancing to no particular rhythm. I feel suddenly weak.

The delivery man stares at me impatiently.

"Hang on", I say breathlessly, "I'll be right back."

I fly up the stairs.

Thump, Thump, Thump, "John, the delivery guys are here. You have to move the car!!!"

I'm in the shower!! Just grab my keys, you can do it!!

"I can't!"  I exclaim, "Just hurry......please......"

My heart is pounding harder now, I fear I may keel over.

The man is still waiting at the bottom of the stairs.....the shower is still running in the bathroom.

I try to control my breathing. I have to do something.

I run downstairs, grab the car keys.......

Can I do it?

Thump, Thump, Thump.......My neighbor looks concerned as she opens the door.

"Hi, ummm", I beseech her with pleading eyes, "there's a delivery man at my house. Would you be able to move our car, please?

I hand her the keys.


Vehophobia, it's no joke!!






1 comment:

  1. Vehopobia! I know your terror at driving and I can just imagine how terrifying that thought was for you! I love this exchange and could feel the tension throughout this piece!

    ReplyDelete