Thursday, March 12, 2020

Nothing's normal




We're all in this together, I think, watching the first graders line up at the exit door.

Little bodies scramble to find their spot. Hugging their books, they giggle, smile, and excitedly wave their goodbye's.

"See you at lunch time."  I announce with a big grin, pretending everything's normal.

But nothing is normal!

.NCAA Tournament canceled
.NHL suspends season
.MLB to halt Spring training
.St. Patrick's Day Parade in Chicago 'postponed'
.President Trump bans Europe flights
.Chicago-area schools closing
.Hand sanitizers, bleach, and toilet tissue cannot be found

the list goes on...

I have fifteen minutes..
I try to write 
But my thoughts dissipate before I can share.  

I breathe... trying to indulge in the solitude of the moment... 
Sunlit, spacious, safe, and serene, I love this place!

"Ding!" the incoming email interrupts my thoughts. 
"How to access Google Classroom at home", it reads.

Nothing is normal!

I swallow the angst before it can rise, thankful for the shuffling sound in the hallway. My next class is here.

"Hi Mrs. Mitchell", the student's voice lifts up my spirit

I respond with a smile and wipe down the tables as they walk in the door.

Clean surfaces will help, I think.

I hope to keep them safe until the day things are normal again.
Hoping that things will be normal soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment