Saturday, March 22, 2014

Go Ask Emily...



Every Day, as I go out into the world, I see people of varying ages come and go.  It rarely fails, as I warmly greet a person of the “newer” generation, I’m lucky to get a return nod or a quick smirk before their noses are buried deep in their cell phones, thumbs running rampant on the touch screen surface. In the past, I placed my confidence in the more "mature" generation, knowing my warm greeting would ((almost)) always be returned with a smile, and eye contact; throughout the entire interaction, pleasant or not, they were usually engaged completely.

As a member of the "mature"  generation, I find myself sinking deeper and deeper into the quicksand of social faux pas , I once found offensive.....

Don't get me wrong.....

I still get irritated with the chronic cell phone-user; however, I personally am guilty of the same thing – .  When I am at a restaurant with friends and everyone has their phone out and the silence takes over the table, I stare at the top of my friends’ heads, the awkwardness overcomes me and I find myself reaching into my purse digging for that electronic security blanket.....  

So, rather ranting about my personal ideas about cell phone etiquette,  I decided check in with the "Queen" herself,  Emily Post. 
Here are a few quotes of my favorite quotes from her website.  What about text messaging at the dinner table?” it was an easy answer – “It’s not good manners!”

Guidelines:

“The guideline is that you do not text message when you are involved in any type of social interaction – conversation, listening, in class, at a meeting or, especially, at the dinner table. If you really need to communicate with someone who is not at the event – or at the table – excuse yourself and then return as soon as you can.”
And my personal favorite:
"If you're having dinner with friends and family, be with them"…..
Today, I Darlene, promise my friends and family to be with you as we meet to break bread, and I humbly request they extend the same courtesy to me.





4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. And it isn't just at the dinner table. Anywhere and everywhere you go they are pulled out. I'm not sure when we decided it was more important to talk to people who are not there than someone who is right beside you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene, I try to so hard NOT to do this, but even I sometimes fall into the trap. Katie fell the other day and I saw another mom give me a dirty look because I was texting and not paying attention to my sweet Katie. Oops.

    Adding the quotes from Emily Post was brilliant - I'll totally have her words in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. electronic security blanket.....
    for sure! I was just having this conversation with my husband,,,as each of us was on our phone talking to each other, but NOT really talking.
    It is so hard to BE sometimes. So easy to wrap yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, there is definitely a difference between being present and presence! You've got me thinking now!

    ReplyDelete