Thursday, March 7, 2019

Her name is Elle


It was March, 2013. I was nervous. A newbie attempting to navigate in a community of skilled and talented writers.

Recently widowed, I had something I needed to say. I longed to reach out to the world. But how? 

For hours on end I'd sit at my computer, writing, reading, searching, staring..... Into the wee hours of the morning I struggled only to find my yearning to share suppressed by frailty of my heart.

It was during one of my predawn pursuits I discovered her. Her tormenting words gripped me with such intensity, I dared not look away. With sleep deprived eyes, I drank in her words. My soul ached as I followed her into the vast darkness of cyberspace. I absorbed her pain, but knew not how to comfort. 

Somewhere, in the world she was alone
hurting, 
aching, 
crying, 
breaking

And yet, her brave, eloquent words filled me with deep inspiration. 

If she could survive.....who am was to wallow in the sea of self pity.

She never knew, and perhaps never will, know how much I felt the connection. 

But every March, I go back to those days, and I remember. 

Her name is Elle. 




4 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh. Darlene - your words. I picture you - your "newbie" self with all that you had just gone through losing your husband - sitting at your computer, reaching out to a fellow writer through this amazing community. I can't believe how very powerful that - and this -is. I'll bet you are that person for many out there who are in need of inspiration and comfort from a fellow writer. I am so blessed to know you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I feel as though I should know her. You make me want to go back in time and find her. I’ve already found you thankfully. This hits me how we can connect through the screen. You’re an amazing writer lady- and as a newbie you still blew me away. When it’s in ya, it’s in ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfection- what a tribute to someone who, through the power of writing, helped you during such a difficult time in your life. You are that person for many writers now. Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written! Great you found someone to help you out at that difficult time!

    ReplyDelete